Ducks are a bother (Writing Challenge 3/6)

by Black Ghost

I should've known it was Daffy Duck all along thought Matt angrily as he was searching through his belongings.

He had lost his CD player recently, and had finally conluded that Daffy Duck must have taken it. Matt had seen Daffy eyeing his CD player since the first day they met. He knew sooner or later he would try to take it.

"Daffy!" shouted Matt into the empty hallway, "You come back here with my CD player! Why didn't you just take Susan's ipod instead!".

Susan was Matt's sister, who always seemed to have better stuff then him. But Matt treasured his CD player, since it was the only thing he had ever bought with his own money.

"Daffy!" he shouted again as he stomped down the hall, "Don't make me come after you, you dang talking duck!"

As Matt turned the corner, he saw a flurry of feathers run past him. Matt turned around just in time to see his bedroom door slam shut. Then he heard Daffy turn the lock.

Matt ran up to the door and started banging on it with his fist.

"Daffy, open this door! I can just let you borrow the CD player! You don't gotta be like that!" he yelled against the door. But it was no use, Daffy wasn't going to give it up.

Matt exhaled angrily.

"Fine, Daffy, I'm telling Mom about this!" he said as he ran back across the hall. Soon he reached the kitchen, where his Mother was washing dishes.

"Mom!" he whined. Matt's mother turned around and dried her hands with a towel.

"What is it, Matt? Can't you see I'm washing the dishes right now?" she said.

"But Mom, it's important. Daffy took my CD player and he won't give it back to me!" Matt cried. His mother gave him a perplexed look.

"Who the heck is Daffy?" she said.

"Daffy Duck, Mom!" he said, "Tell him to give it back right now! He locked himself in my room and who knows what else he might take from me!"

"Honey, Daffy Duck is a cartoon character. He couldn't have possibly have taken anything from you." his Mother said with a worried look.

"What are you talking about, Mom! Daffy's been living here for two weeks now, don't you remember?"

"Matt, stop joking around and go clean your room." said his Mother. Matt began to get very frustrated.

"Mom, I cannot get into my room! Haven't you been listening! Daffy Duck locked himself in there!"

"Now, Matt, don't you talk to me that way, this joke has gone far enough!" Matt's mother said sternly.

Matt clenched his fists.

"Fine, I'll go clean my room," he said quietly, "Even though I can't get in it." Then Matt marched back down the hall and back to his room, where the door was now ajar. Curious, he went inside and found his CD player on his bed.

Where did Daffy go? Matt wondered. He looked to his left and saw his window wide open, the curtains blowing in the wind. Storing his CD player safely in his drawer, he went over to the window and stuck his head out.

"You better not ever come back, Daffy Duck!" he shouted into the open air. Then he went back and sat on his bed, feeling that everything was now taken care of.

Gosh, Ducks are such a bother ,he thought as he began to clean his room.

Black Ghost says...

He did find his CD player, if you read carefully, and the story didn't have to be centered around Daffy, it just had to have that line"I knew it was Daffy Duck all along" so I have to say your comment was not helpful.

Sohini wrote a review...

*chewing on a fresh carrot stick* What’s up, doc?
That’s it? No sputtering Daffy in real? He’ll take revenge-boy, does Daffy hates being mentioned in a story but not appearing in there person (in duck, to be precise.)
Nope, I don’t like this story. It’s more of a theme less dialog-writing than a story.
But I’ll admit that I liked the very last line.
By the way, Daffy can’t fly (being a good friend of him, I know this). So you shouldn’t have made him go away.
And did Matt ever find his lost CD (‘Flying Without Wings’)??!!
Oh, and here’s what Daf’s gotta say, ‘today, I take over the Earth, tomorrow I take over Hollywood and then stuff horse-radish in magicman’s uncaring little head. Gosh-authors can be such a bother.’*spitting all over Bugs*
So, you’ve two options-learn to like horseradish or, RUN FOR IT.
~Bugs (yes, the Bugs).*cleaning face with ACME super clean towel*
why didn’t I write this challenge???

Black Ghost says...

Thanks, Snoink, I'm glad you liked it, and I'll be sure to look for the grammatical mistakes

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:57 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Hehe! Just read it (finally) and I liked it. :D

There were some grammatical errors in it, but I've gone over those grammar errors in several of your stories and I really don't feel like going over them again. Just keep your eye out for them.

I liked this story because it had a solid begin, an interesting conflict in the middle, and a conclusion that went back to the beginning, but had ended. I think we would call it a circular story? Anyway, for a story this short, having an ending go back to the beginning is an extremely useful plot device, and you used it quite well, intentionally or not.

I also like your style quite a bit. It reminds me of my own in a way because it's so simplistic. Or maybe I'm just weird?

Another thing I liked was, although it delved into the fantasy world, it also kept one foot firmly placed into reality. Instead of going off into alittle fantasy world, you kept it real. It worked particularly well in this story.

Anyway, keep the good stuff coming. :D

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:21 am
Julri says...

You know, I have this problem all the time. Last week Daffy stole my socks.

Peace! :shock:

Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio